News & Information
Advocacy & Public Policy
Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association is an informative member benefit that attracts a worldwide audience of art therapists who want to stay current in the field. Members receive the journal and archived issues FREE as part of their member benefits.
If you are interested in contributing to the Journal by submitting Cover Artwork or an Article, members may click here.
You are invited to join with the American Art Therapy Association! Membership in the Association is a signal that you are an active participant in the field of art therapy, dedicated to the growth of the field and to increasing your knowledge in this specialized therapeutic practice. The American Art Therapy Association is an outstanding networking opportunity to increase your knowledge and career potential. Please click here for a list of membership types and the membership benefits specific to each member category. Remember to join your local Chapter at the same time that you join or renew your National membership!
Membership with the American Art Therapy Association Starts Here!
Please click here to learn more about the chapter in your state. To join the American Art Therapy Association please click here. If you prefer you may send the completed membership form and your payment via mail for an additional charge of $5 to handle processing. Send the completed application and your payment to: American Art Therapy Association, 4875 Eisenhower Avenue, Suite 240, Alexandria, VA 22304.
Click here to download the membership application.
Just some of the benefits of membership include:
- Participate in Networking Opportunities - the Annual Conference will assist you in connecting with peers from across the nation and around the world, sharing ideas and increasing your knowledge of the field. Member discounts on conference attendance and CEC courses make membership with us a "must have".
- Support your continuing education through our on-line Institute for Continuing Education in Art Therapy (ICE/AT). This growing training program puts relevant courses at your fingertips, enabling you to develop competencies and keep abreast of new trends in the field while qualifying you for continuing education credits (CECs). Member discounts on these CEC eligible and NBCC approved courses are a strong reason to join today.
- Read the Art Therapy Journal free as a member benefit! The Journal is the most prestigious publication in the field showcasing leading research by professional art therapists from around the world. The American Art Therapy Association provides the Art Therapy Journal and it's archived editions FREE to our members to assist you in expanding your knowledge of cutting edge research and programs.
- Find job opportunities through the Career Center. The Career Center offers job search assistance to members seeking employment in the field of art therapy and related professions. National healthcare companies, educational organizations and community service organizations are some of the more than 150 employers who can find qualified professionals to fill rewarding jobs in the field of art therapy through our Career Center. Sign on, post your resume, and watch the job market grow as the economy improves.
- As a member, you are invited to author a training course at the Annual Conference and for the Institute for Continuing Education for Art Therapy, or write an article for consideration in the Art Therapy Journal or the Quarterly Newsletter. Consider being a spokesperson for us and the field of art therapy through the Ambassadors Program. These and other national recognition programs are available to credentialed professional and professional members and help to create exposure for your professional activities.
- Visit the Art Therapy on-line Practice Center, offering a wide range of discounted resources you need and use daily as an art therapist. The Member Resource Center includes discount programs with leading companies on operational and business support services, web site design, office equipment and tools that will increase your productivity and enhance your practice and business operations. Visit this site often, as new programs are added regularly.
- We advocate on your behalf - Our Advocacy Center provides the latest news and activities underway in public policy related to art therapy at the federal and state levels. We are in touch with decision makers and leaders on the national level that affect policies and programs that impact you in your neighborhood. Rest assured that when decisions are being made that impact art therapy we are at the table.
- Participate as a volunteer leader with the Association on the Chapter, Committee and Board level. Build your career while helping to create the Association that best addresses the art therapy profession. Qualified members are invited to submit your background for consideration of a range of interesting volunteer opportunities. Please review the benefits matrix to see the categories of membership that are invited to be part of the governance team.